CLA Transfer Students
We're so glad you are here! CLA Advising is excited supporting transfer students as they transition to and through Cal Poly.
We have put together some information here to assist with the transition. Check out this information, along with the general information applicable to all transfer students at Cal Poly.
Future Transfer Students
If you're a future Cal Poly transfer student, please visit Cal Poly Admissions.
Newly Admitted Transfer Students
- Do these important things between receiving your offer of admission and beginning your first day of classes in Fall.
- Don't worry about transfer credits just yet. The processing will take some time. You will be notified, via email, when your credits have been evaluated. Learn more about transfer credit from the Office of the Registrar.
Register for and attend both Transfer SLO Days and Week of Welcome (WOW). During each of these orientation events, you will get a chance to meet your CLA Advising team and your department. We will get you acquainted with Cal Poly and make sure you have the information you need about fall registration.
Last year's presentations:
- 2018 Transfer SLO Days Welcome and General Advising
- 2018 Transfer SLO Days Department Advising and Registration Planning
- 2018 WOW Presentation
Last year's Transfer Advising Guide
First Quarter at Cal Poly
Here are some important things to do during your first quarter at Cal Poly.
Registration (Plan for Winter)
From now on, you will register as a continuing student. The overall process remains the same, but the details will be slightly different from when you registered for fall quarter.
Each quarter you will be given a date/time for registration, which will be listed on the right side of the Student Center, two weeks prior to the start of registration. This date and time is based on your actual academic progress level (how many degree applicable units you have completed). Your level can be found on your academic progress gauge in PolyProfile (link found on your Academics Tab in Cal Poly Portal). It will be updated during week 4 of each quarter.
We recommend that all new transfer students meet with CLA Advising to review their transfer credit, academic progress level and plan for graduation. In many cases, students will also be advised to meet with their Faculty Advisor or Department Chair.
Faculty and Staff
People to Introduce yourself to
- Get to know CLA Advising as a resource to help you transition to Cal Poly and set yourself up to graduate on time!
- We highly recommend connecting with your faculty advisor right away.
- Your major department's administrative staff is a great resource.
- Schedule an appointment with your CLA career counselor, Laura.
- Chat with our college librarian, Brett.
National Transfer Student Week
OCTOBER 21-25, 2019
Second Quarter through Graduation
Here are some ways to get involved once you start feeling settled at Cal Poly.
Clubs & Programs
Graduate School and Career Planning
- Your best resource for graduate school planning will be your Faculty Advisors. They have been through it, they love to talk about it, and they have great information!
- If you are a pre-health student, please visit the College of Science and Math Advising Center to discuss your health career plans and journey to becoming a competitive applicant.
- For additional career support and graduate school planning, don't forget about your Career Counselor! They even have great online resources!