Cal Poly CLA News

The latest online edition of CLA's Impact Magazine

Academic Probation & Readmission


Academic Probation

Many students face academic difficulty at some point in their college careers - you are not alone. Being placed on academic probation or academic disqualification status can feel overwhelming and upsetting. CLA academic advisors, department chairs and faculty are here to support your academic journey and help you find success.


Academic Probation Policy

Students whose term, CPSLO, or Higher Ed GPAs fall below 2.0 will be placed on academic probation (AP). Being on academic probation causes many students (and supporters) to feel confused, overwhelmed, and stressed. If that's you, take a deep breath-we're here to help!

Know Your Status

First, it helps to understand your status. The academic probation policy breaks down varying levels of severity into two statuses: Academic Probation Status and Academic Disqualification StatusBe sure to read the difference between these statuses and learn more about which applies to you. It’s important to note that disqualification status does not automatically equate to dismissal from the university.

Requirements for the College of Liberal Arts

Every student on academic probation in the College of Liberal Arts is required to participate in some type of intervention as a means of providing support to help ensure student success. All students will receive an email at the end of the quarter stating exactly what they are required to do and the deadline for completing it.


First-Year Students

First year students on academic probation for the first time after fall or winter quarter must participate in the “First Year Success” program 

All first year students will work with the Mustang Success Center to complete their academic probation requirements.


New Transfer or Continuing Students

Transfer students in their first year an on academic probation for the first time at Cal Poly will be invited to participate in the Transfer Academic Success Program. Those in certain major or support programs may also be required to meet with their department chair or other advisor. Please read your Academic Probation emails carefully. If you do not follow the stated requirements, you may get a hold on your registrations.

Other new transfers and continuing transfer students will be assigned a specific intervention that is tailored to their academic needs. Since each student has a unique situation or set of circumstances, these interventions are designed to provide assistance and resources that are most helpful and appropriate for each individual student. Please read your Academic Probation emails carefully. If you do not follow the stated requirements, you may get a hold on your registrations.

Students on academic probation may be required to complete a survey to help connect them to on-campus resources or meet one-on-one with an academic advisor, a peer mentor, or a department representative.


Students on Academic Disqualification Status

Students who are placed in academic disqualification status are notified before the beginning of the next consecutive quarter (excluding summer). All official notifications regarding disqualification will be sent to the student's Cal Poly email.

Appeal Process:

Students who are in academic disqualification status are given the opportunity to appeal for reinstatement. Detailed instructions on submitting an appeal for reinstatement are included in the academic disqualification email. Typically, appeals are granted due to extenuating circumstances that occurred during the quarter in which the student was placed into disqualified status. If reinstated, students will be placed on an Academic Success Contract. Students who do not appeal for reinstatement or whose appeal is not approved will be dismissed from the university. If dismissed, learn about our readmission process


Campus Support For Students on AP


Academic Skills Center

Campus Health and Wellbeing

Student Academic Services

Transfer Academic Coaches


Retroactive Withdrawal

If poor grades from a previous quarter were a reflection of extenuating circumstances beyond your control, you may want to talk with an academic advisor to evaluate if retroactive withdrawal is right for you. Read about retroactive withdrawal on the Office of the Registrar's website.



Readmission to Cal Poly after leaving on Academic Probation or Dismissal

You may have the opportunity to return to Cal Poly as a returning student.

You are considered a "former returning student" if you are no longer matriculated at Cal Poly (i.e. you did not attend for three consecutive quarters and are not on an official leave), or if you were academically dismissed from Cal Poly.

You are considered "not in good standing" if you were formally dismissed from the university or if you left with one or more grade point averages (term, Cal Poly, cumulative) below a 2.0 in your last quarter at Cal Poly.

Former returning students who left Cal Poly while on academic probation or who were academically dismissed and choose to reapply to Cal Poly will have their application and transcripts sent to the CLA Associate Dean for Student Success for review before reinstatement can occur. 


Step 1: Review the Former Student Application Process and Deadlines


Step 2: Submit the Former Student Evaluation Request (if necessary). 

This request will allow the Registrar’s Office to evaluate your degree progress and is typically required if you have been away from Cal Poly for more than 10 years. If you have been away for less than 10 years, you can skip to Step 3. 

**This can take up to 12 weeks to be processed. 


Step 3: Schedule an appointment with CLA Associate Dean for Student Success,to discuss your Readmission Plan.

Students are eligible to explore a path to readmission if their disqualification appeal is denied, or if they did not submit an appeal. The readmission process readmits students into the same major in which they were enrolled at the time they left Cal Poly. 

Readmission requirements are individualized for each student. 


Step 4: Once the terms of the Readmission Plan are complete, submit a Former Student Application.  


Step 5: If any coursework was taken at a different college or university, submit your official transcripts to Cal Poly


Step 6: Schedule an appointment with CLA Advising to discuss your return to Cal Poly, registering for your first quarter back, and a plan for graduation.


Related Content