Welcome to the College of Liberal Arts
The College of Liberal Arts is a proud leader in Cal Poly's mission to offer a truly comprehensive polytechnic education, providing nearly one-third of the university’s instruction.
Learn by Doing
The Learn by Doing spirit thrives in the College of Liberal Arts, where students take part in hands-on, real-world endeavors. CLA is home to:
- 17 Departments with 30+ minors and four graduate programs
- Commitment to inclusivity and diversity
- Award-winning student-produced media and news outlets including Mustang News, CPTV, KCPR and Central Coast PRspectives
- Variety of music, dance and theatre productions
- Wide selection of CLA-focused clubs and activities
- University Graphic Systems (UGS), a student-managed, on-campus print and design agency
Cal Poly's College of Liberal Arts (CLA) is among the most diverse in the California State University system, housing 18 majors in 17 departments.
Our highly-respected graduate programs focus on mentorship and professional development.
The CLA has a variety of scholarship opportunities for incoming and currently enrolled students. Individual departments also offer scholarships specific to their major(s). See the department websites for more information about department or major-specific scholarships. For information on general CLA scholarships, contact the College of Liberal Arts Dean's Office.
Summer Springboard @ Cal Poly
Explore a major. Discover Cal Poly. Enjoy an unforgettable summer.
Summer Springboard @ Cal Poly is the perfect way to immerse yourself in a subject and experience what life would be like as a Cal Poly student. Students will stay in quintessential dormitories on campus and take courses from active Cal Poly professors within the College of Liberal Arts, all while being immersed in Cal Poly’s Learn by Doing philosophy. Join us for a truly unique and immersive experience.