Cal Poly CLA News

The latest online edition of CLA's Impact Magazine

Music Equipment Requirements

To be sure new music majors are prepared for fall quarter classes, there is some equipment that is recommended to be purchased before classes begin:

  • A fold-up music stand
  • Regular access to a piano/keyboard

There are many brands of stands available, and your choice should be sturdy, yet lightweight, as you could be carrying it with you to rehearsals and lessons. One option is the Lunies Sheet Music Stand which comes with a rechargeable light, stand clips for outdoor use and a carrying case.

You will also need regular access to an electronic keyboard for your required Piano Skills classes since you will need to practice every day. There are practice rooms available in the music building, but students have found having a piano/keyboard in their dorm/apartment has made regular practice and progress easier. 

Acceptable options must have at least 76 keys that are touch-sensitive so you can play dynamics. Plus a headset jack, built-in speakers, an AC adapter, an instrument stand, and a sustaining pedal — or one that can be purchased separately. The Yamaha PSR-EW310 PKY is a good option, but you may need to purchase a pedal separately.

Sources include Amazon and other online retailers, but whatever you choose should include the above specifications. You will be using the keyboard during your entire time at Cal Poly to work not only on piano repertoire, but also on your theory assignments, musicianship, etc., so it is a good investment and allows you to practice in your place of residence. This gives you a lot of flexibility.

Students who are experiencing financial hardship may apply for a grant through Cal Poly Cares. Students who are not federal Title IV eligible, including international and undocumented students, are also allowed to apply.

Related Content