Student Diversity Committee
The vision of the College of Liberal Arts (CLA) Student Diversity Committee is a college and university that embraces diversity and inclusivity, as evidenced by high levels of empathy, mutual respect, interpersonal and cultural curiosity, critical thinking, accountability, and positive understanding and celebration of differences, resulting in a community that is increasingly welcoming and diverse.
The CLA Student Diversity Committee is intended as a standing committee in the college. Advisory to the dean, the CLA Student Diversity Committee identifies issues; recommends goals; advocates for initiatives and programs that advance the college toward its vision; recognizes policies, procedures, and practices that impede fulfillment of the vision; develops metrics for measuring progress; and suggests modifications based on feedback.
The CLA Student Diversity Committee is charged with the following responsibilities:
1. Work closely with the dean in his or her efforts to provide leadership in the area of diversity.
2. Help translate the Cal Poly Diversity Strategic Framework into goals and action plans for the college.
3. Aid in identifying curricular and/or programming needs and opportunities to increase the multicultural competence of CLA students, faculty, and staff
4. Recommend events and programs that will educate and promote cohesiveness, empathy, and mutual respect within the CLA community.
5. Advocate for and assist in the recruitment and retention of traditionally underrepresented students, faculty, and staff.
6. Advise on the development of a diversity assessment plan for the college, including key indicators.
7. Assist in monitoring progress on key indicators and expectations to enhance accountability for achieving diversity goals.
8. Recommend adjustments to diversity plans and assessment methods based on feedback and experience.
The CLA Student Diversity Committee shall consist of 10 to 20 students, each serving one-year, renewable terms beginning with the start of fall quarter each year. The selection process will occur during the previous spring quarter, beginning with a call for nominations, including self-nominations, by April 15. Nominations will also be solicited from existing committee members, key faculty, cultural center leaders, and leaders of relevant student groups. Based on consultation with the current committee, appropriate group leaders, and the associate deans, as well as consideration of representational issues, the dean will select members for the coming year no later than May 30.
2016-17 Student Diversity Committee Members
|Ahi, Sheila||Graphic Communication|
|Klepfer, Matt||Political Science|
|Mejia, Mayra||Graphic Communication|
|Muroff, Elana||Political Science|
|Ramirez Sanchez, Marcos||Psychology|
|Scales, Rachel||Modern Languages and Literatures|
|Suarez-Brown, Tyler||Ethnic Studies|
|Trujillo, Elizabeth (Cruz)||Ethnic Studies|
|Williams, Jabe||Ethnic Studies|