study 25-35 hours per week




Cal Poly CLA News

The latest online edition of CLA's Your Impact Magazine

Comparative Ethnic Studies Change of Major

Advisor/Department Chair/CoM Coordinator: Denise Isom 805.756.7388

General Guidelines:

  • Review Cal Poly’s General Change of Major Policy in full

  • Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before entering into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA).

  • Students must be able to graduate in a timely manner. A realistic quarter-by-quarter graduation plan may be required to demonstrate whether this is feasible.

  • Students are allowed 1 ICMA per major. Students who do not meet the conditions of their ICMA will not be issued another ICMA for that major.

Step 1: Research

Step 2: Complete Change of Major Inquiry Form

  • Complete the Change of Major Inquiry Form in your portal.

  • You will receive an email response from the department within 10 business days regarding next steps.

Step 3: Meet with the Chair of the Ethnic Studies Department

  • If you have been notified that you are Eligible to enter into an ICMA, you will need to make an appointment with Denise Isom, Department Chair, to plan your transition:

  • If a student is granted an ICMA, it will not exceed two quarters and will require:

    • Cal Poly (CPSLO) GPA of 2.5 or two consecutive term GPA’s of 2.5 with at least 12 units per quarter.

    • Must complete at least two of the following ethnic studies courses: ES 112, ES 114, ES 212, ES 241, ES 242, ES 243, ES 244, ES 320, ES 321, ES 322 and/or ES 323 with a GPA of 3.0 or higher

  • Once a student meets the terms of the ICMA, they are admitted to their intended major.

    • Students who do not meet the conditions of their ICMA will not be issued another ICMA for this major.

**The completion of coursework without prior consultation with the intended major department does not guarantee the student eligibility to switch into the intended major.**

Related Content