study 25-35 hours per week




Cal Poly CLA The Link

The latest online edition of CLA's Impact Magazine

Political Science Change of Major

Advisor/Department Chair/CoM Coordinator: Elizabeth Lowham 805.756.2919

General Guidelines:

  • Review Cal Poly’s General Change of Major Policy in full

  • Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before entering into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA).

  • Students must be able to graduate in a timely manner. A realistic quarter-by-quarter graduation plan may be required to demonstrate whether this is feasible.

  • Students are allowed 1 ICMA per major. Students who do not meet the conditions of their ICMA will not be issued another ICMA for that major.

Step 1: Research

Step 2: Complete Change of Major Inquiry Form

  • Complete the Change of Major Inquiry Form in your portal.

  • You will receive an email response from the department within 10 business days regarding next steps.

Step 3: Meet with Department Chair 

  • If you have been notified that you are Eligible to enter into an ICMA, you will need to make an appointment with Elizabeth Lowham, Department Chair, to plan your transition.

  • If a student is granted an ICMA, it will not exceed two quarters and will require:

    • Must have a cumulative Cal Poly GPA of 2.8 or higher or you must have 3.2 or higher in both of the last two consecutive quarters, with a minimum of 12 units each quarter.

    • Must have completed at least two political science courses at Cal Poly with a 3.2 GPA or higher. POLS 112 may not be used as one of the two courses taken

    • Must have completed STAT 217 with a grade of C- or better.

    • Must not be on academic probation at the time the major change is completed.

  • Once a student meets the terms of the ICMA, they are admitted to their intended major.

    • Students who do not meet the conditions of their ICMA will not be issued another ICMA for this major.

**The completion of coursework without prior consultation with the intended major department does not guarantee the student eligibility to switch into the intended major.**

Related Content