study 25-35 hours per week




Cal Poly CLA The Link

The latest online edition of CLA's Impact Magazine

Philosophy Change of Major

Advisor/Department Chair/CoM Coordinator: Ken Brown 805.756.2041

General Guidelines:

  • Review Cal Poly’s General Change of Major Policy in full

  • Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before entering into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA).

  • Students must be able to graduate in a timely manner. A realistic quarter-by-quarter graduation plan may be required to demonstrate whether this is feasible.

  • Students are allowed 1 ICMA per major. Students who do not meet the conditions of their ICMA will not be issued another ICMA for that major.

Step 1: Research

Step 2: Complete Change of Major Inquiry Form

  • Complete the Change of Major Inquiry Form in your portal.

  • You will receive an email response from the department within 10 business days regarding next steps.

Step 3: Meet with Department Chair 

  • Those notified of their eligibility to enter into an ICMA to change their major to Philosophy will need to make an appointment with the department chair to plan the change of major.

    • Dr. Ken Brown, Philosophy Department Chair

    • Phone: 805-756-2041

    • Email: (preferred means of communication)

  • An ICMA to change major to Philosophy requires the following to be completed in no more than two quarters:

    • Completion of PHIL 230 and 231, with GPA for those courses of at least 2.5

    • Completion of area A3 with a grade of C or higher.

    • GPA of at least 2.5 in all philosophy classes taken at Cal Poly or elsewhere

    • Cal Poly (CPSLO) GPA of 2.5 or two consecutive term GPA’s of 2.7 with at least 12 units per quarter

  • Generally, students meeting the terms of their ICMA are admitted to their intended major.

    • Those who do not meet the requirements of the ICMA, but whose circumstances are exceptional and require special consideration, should contact the department chair.

    • Certain circumstances, such as lack of resources, may preclude admission of students who otherwise meet the requirements of their ICMA.

    • Completion of coursework required in an ICMA without prior consultation with the intended major department does not guarantee eligibility to switch into the intended major.

Related Content