study 25-35 hours per week




Cal Poly CLA The Link

The latest online edition of CLA's Impact Magazine

Liberal Arts and Engineering Studies Change of Major

Advisor/Department Chair: David Gillette

CoM Coordinator: Sabrina Canady 805.756.6200

General Guidelines:

  • Review Cal Poly’s General Change of Major Policy in full

  • Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before entering into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA).

  • Students must be able to graduate in a timely manner. A realistic quarter-by-quarter graduation plan may be required to demonstrate whether this is feasible.

  • Students are allowed 1 ICMA per major. Students who do not meet the conditions of their ICMA will not be issued another ICMA for that major.

Step 1: Research

Step 2: Complete Change of Major Inquiry Form

  • Complete the Change of Major Inquiry Form in your portal.

  • You will receive an email response from the department within 10 business days regarding next steps.

  • Minimum Entrance Requirements:

    • Meet with Sabrina Canady in the CLA Advising Center to develop an academic plan.

    • Completed Calculus 1 (MATH 141), Calculus II (MATH 142), and General Physics (PHYS 141) with a minimum grade of “C” in each class.

    • Completed General Education Area A OR have completed three lower-division courses in Area A, C, or D with a minimum grade of “C” in each class.

    • Third- and Fourth-year students will only be accepted if they can show they will complete the degree in five years or 15 quarters. Transfer students must show they can complete the degree in three years or 9 quarters.

Step 3: Meet with Department Change of Major Designee

  • Download the LAES Concentration/Study Abroad Declaration form and contact to request an appointment to discuss how the LAES curriculum can match your interests and career goals. Bring the concentration form to your appointment.

  • If you wish to move forward with the change of major, fulfill the pre-ICMA advisor suggested tasks, complete all required calculus and physics courses, and make your Engineering and Liberal Arts concentration selections.

  • Contact to schedule an appointment with an LAES Program Co-Director to create your Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) Contract. Bring your completed LAES concentration form to the appointment for review and approval.

  • If a student is granted an ICMA, it will not exceed two quarters and will require:

    • Must have completed all ICMA courses and have received a grade of “C” or better in each.

    • Must be in good standing and not be on academic probation.

    • Must have a 2.5 GPA in the current term, CPSLO cumulative, and Higher Ed cumulative.

    • Must have sophomore standing (45+ units completed).

  • Once a student meets the terms of the ICMA, they are admitted to their intended major.

    • Students who do not meet the conditions of their ICMA will not be issued another ICMA for this major.

**The completion of coursework without prior consultation with the intended major department does not guarantee the student eligibility to switch into the intended major.**

Related Content