Cal Poly CLA News

The latest online edition of CLA's Your Impact Magazine

Scheduling Appointments

First note our policy on walk-in vs. appointment topics. 

You can also see our FAQs for quick answers.

Walk-Ins (15 minutes)
Any available Advisor
Appointments (30-45 minutes)

Advisor Signatures:

Advisor Signatures:

Clarifying Academic Policies:

Academic Probation

Change of Catalog


Change of Major

Identifying requirements only

Change of Major: Exploration (not sure what majors you want or want to know how your current units will apply)


IS and LAES Change of Major

Course planning for the next quarter

Course planning for more than one quarter



Double majoring


Graduation check; if graduating current or the next quarter only

Graduation planning

Graduation check; with two or more quarters remaining (excluding current quarter) “When can I graduate?”


Minors: Basic Questions 

Minors: Academic Planning with Major


PolyPlanner: How To Use


PolyPlanner: Planning more than one quarter/Review of Courses

Registration Assistance



Study Abroad: Transfer Credit Questions


Study Abroad: How it will affect your graduation timeline

Transfer Credits



Concentrations: To declare or update a concentration, you need to see a concentration advisor in your major department.

Minor: To declare or update a minor, you need to see a minor advisor in that department. Learn more about how to declare a minor

Substitutions: If you would like to discuss a major or support course substitution, you need to meet with your Department Chair or Faculty Advisor. 

You can call the CLA Advising Center (805-756-6200) or the Department Office, to find out who you should meet with.

Schedule an Appointment

Please answer a few questions to help us schedule the right appointment.

Change of Degree Completion Form 

  • Graduating earlier: This does not require an Advisor signature. Simply follow the instructions on the form to sign for self and submit.
  • Extending your graduation beyond the next quarter, requires an appointment.


Concentration, Minor and Course Substitution Forms

These forms are reviewed and signed by Department Chairs and Faculty Advisors. You should plan to visit them during office hours, rather than meet with CLA Advising.

If you have general questions and are not expecting approval/signature, you can schedule a CLA Advising appointment here.


Leave of Absence

An appointment is recommended: schedule a CLA Advising appointment here.


All Other Forms

  • Course Withdrawal
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal letter
  • Term Withdrawal 
  • Others, not identified

We highly recommend using our walk-in hours, Mon-Fri 9am-12pm and 1-4pm to obtain any Advisors signature.

If you still prefer an appointment to acquire the signature you need, you can schedule a CLA Advising appointment here.

If you know which major you would like to change into:

Submit a Change of Major Inquiry from your Cal Poly portal (under "advising" section of your ACADEMICS Tab). This will connect you with the Change of Major Coordinator for that particular major.

An inquiry is not a commitment to change your major. It is simply in inquiry as to your eligibility for the major and exploration of the requirements.


If you are exploring various major options, or just starting to think about changing your major:


Read more about Change of Major policies, requirements and resources.

Related Content