2023 CLA SURP: Summer Undergraduate Research/Creative Activity Program
Phase I: CLA Faculty Proposals due Friday April 7, 2023 (extended)
Phase II: CLA Student Applications due Wednesday April 26, 2023
Phase III: Final Awardees announced Friday May 12, 2023 (or before)
Student Applications Now Open!
The student application for the 2023 College of Liberal Arts Student Undergraduate Research/Creative Activity Program (CLA SURP) is now open!
The application is due on Wednesday, April 26, 2023.
Information Session for Students:
- M 4/17, 1:10-2pm in 26-109 or by Zoom (Meeting ID 883 6250 1116)
This information session is part of Cal Poly's celebration of National Undergraduate Research Week (4/17 to 4/21/23).
Available CLA SURP Projects for Summer 2023
- Please download this document (updated W 4/19 at 10am) to explore the available projects to which students can apply. (Click on the table of contents on the first page OR simply scroll through the document.)
- Remember that you can apply to projects in departments across the college, as long as you meet the required qualifications listed.
- When applying, students must specify to which position(s) they are applying.
- Students can apply for up to three positions at the same time.
More about Applying!
Many of the mentors listed may have time to email/meet with you prior to W 4/26 to further discuss their projects. You are encouraged to ask if the mentors listed have this capacity and to meet with them, if so! This might be in office hours or by appointment.
Each application will contain the following sections (each with a maximum of 500 words).
Directions about these different sections are provided as part of the application - click on the "Click here to Submit" button below to review!
- Personal Statement (general; applies to all projects to which you are applying)
- Benefits Statement (general; applies to all projects to which you are applying)
- Project-specific Interest Statement (submit one for each project to which you are applying)
- Project-specific Preparation Statement (submit one for each project to which you are applying)
(You are encouraged to develop and your answers in a word processing software and then paste them into the application just in case your browser crashes while you are working on your application.)
This Request for Proposals is issued to solicit research topics in support of the 2023 CLA SURP. This is a multi-phased solicitation to support faculty research and creative activities while engaging undergraduate students in faculty-led scholarship.
Please note that the CLA SURP has four primary goals:
- Promote diverse and equitable engagement for CLA students in faculty-led research and creative activities.
- Enhance faculty participation in scholarship.
- Build lasting student-faculty mentoring relationships.
- Enrich a culture of scholarship in the CLA
Award cycle: Summer 2023
Award amounts: $3500/student, $1500/faculty
Duration of SURP: 8 weeks of summer 2023
Donors: Circle of Giving, Dean’s Excellence Fund - College of Liberal Arts
For Faculty (archived)
- The application to serve as a SURP Faculty Mentor in Summer 2023 is currently open and is due Friday April 7, 2023 (extended).
- Faculty in all disciplines are encouraged to apply to serve as a research mentor in the CLA Summer Undergraduate Research/Creative Activities Program.
- This program is open to all lecturer and tenure-line faculty in the CLA.
- Faculty who have previously served as SURP mentors, including in Summer 2022, are encouraged to apply to serve as mentors in Summer 2023.