Some possible topics for Paper #3 Due Wednesday November 17
Job, Prophets, Matthew
- Compare and contrast
the account of the creation in Genesis 1 with Gods utterance out of
the tempest in Job 38-41
- Propose an
interpretation of Job 42: 7-9. Why does God say "My anger is aroused
against you and your two friends because unlike my servant Job, you have not
spoken as you ought about me." How does God think they ought to have
spoken? How do you think they ought to have spoken?
- Does the book of Job provide comfort for good people
to whom bad things happen? Or does it do the opposite? Support your position
with interpretation of the story and citations from the text
- Contrast the language of cursing with the language of
blessing in the prophets. For example Jeremiah 1-3 vs. Isaiah 40:1-11, 41:1-20
- Compare and contrast the story of the birth and early
life of Jesus in Matthew 1-4 with that of Moses in Exodus 1-5
- Delineate the alternation of "hard sayings"the
judgmental and harsh voice of Godwith sayings of comfort in Jesus
speech. How does this alternation make for effective communication of his
- Select one or more proverbs in Jesus Sermon on
the Mountchapters 5-7and compare and contrast to one or more of
Solomons proverbs in the Book of Proverbs.
- Describe and interpret Matthews account of the
relationship between Jesus and Peter from beginning to end.
- Compare and contrast Jesus' relationship with the mass
of his followers and Moses' relationship with the Israelites.
- Analyse the characterizations of villains in the Gospel
of Matthew: the two Herods, the Pharisees, Judas, the Jews. How are they rendered
hateful? Compare and contrast to the renderings of antagonists in Genesis,
Exodus, Judges, Samuel and Job.
- Select a powerful and complete passage of around ten
lines from Job [e.g. 3:11-15] or from the assigned readings in the prophets
[e.g. Isaiah 66:12-14] and
a)analyze the poetic effects created by movement
from beginning to end, synonymous and antithetical parallelism, figures
of speech (like personification and metaphor), sound patterns and shifts
b) contrast the differences between the Kings James
translation and the New Revised Standard or another modern translation[For
King James and other translations of any passage go to http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible]