Dr. Lewis Call
Associate Professor and Department Chair
Office: Building 47, Room 27D
Phone: (805) 756-2845
- Ph.D., University of California, Irvine, 1996.
- M.A., University of California, Irvine, 1992.
- B.A., University of California, San Diego, 1990.
Research and Teaching Interests
- Teaching fields: modern European intellectual history, political economy, Western Civilization, history of network technology, history of science fiction.
- Research fields: intellectual history, science fiction studies, anarchism, history of sexuality.
Awards, Honors and Professional Activities
- Distinguished Lecturer Award, California Faculty Association (Cal Poly Chapter), 2005.
- Mr. Pointy Award for the best article in Buffy Studies, 2007.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Postmodern Anarchism. Lexington Books (Rowman and Littlefield), 2002.
- "Structures of Desire: Postanarchist Kink in the Speculative Fiction of Octavia Butler and Samuel Delany." In Anarchism and Sexuality: Ethics, Relationships and Power, ed. Jamie Heckert and Richard Cleminson. New York: Routledge, 2011.
- "Buffy the Postanarchist Vampire Slayer." In Post-anarchism: A Reader, ed. Duane Rousselle and Süreyya Evren. London: Pluto Press, 2011.
- "Slaying the Heteronormative: Representations of Alternative Sexuality in Buffy Season Eight Comics." In Sexual Rhetoric in the Whedonverse, ed. Erin B. Waggoner, 106 – 116. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2010.
- "Crisis of Authority Aboard the Battlestar Galactica." In New Perspectives on Anarchism, ed. Nathan J. Jun and Shane Wahl, 449 – 472. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2010.
- "Death, Sex and the Cylon: Living authentically on Battlestar Galactica." Science Fiction Film and Television vol. 5, no. 1 (2012): 85-113.
- BDSM in American Science Fiction and Fantasy. Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Liberal Arts Caucus Chair, Academic Senate, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Summer 2009 – 2012.
- Academic Senate, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Fall 2008 – 2012.
- Chair, Curriculum Committee, Department of History, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Winter 2009 – present.
- Curriculum Committee, Department of History, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Fall 2007 – present.
- Employment Equity Facilitator, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Fall 2009 – present.
- California Faculty Association Junior Faculty Representative, 2012 – present.
- Associate Editor, Anarchist Studies, April 2007 – present.
- Editorial Board, Anarchist Studies, January 2000 – present.
- History 111: Western Civilization, Reformation to Twentieth Century
- History 213: Modern Political Economy
- History 303: Research and Writing Seminar in History
- History 307: European Thought, 1800-2000
- History 354: History of Network Technology
- History 460: Senior Project I
- History 461: Senior Project II