CLA Curriculum Committee Continuous Curriculum Review
The information provided below gives the College of Liberal Arts' specific deadlines and instructions for submitting courses under university's continuous curriculum review process.
What types of changes can be made via continuous review?
- New courses
- New G.E. courses
- New USCP courses
- Existing courses (modifications only; deletions/deactivations cannot be submitted)
- Selected Topics courses*
- Subtitle courses*
* Should be submitted at least one month prior to the start of registration using the Selected Topics Course Proposal form (DOC).
Are there exceptions for submitting courses?
- A course cannot affect another department, unless a consent memo accompanies the proposal at the time of the original submission.
- A course cannot create a new requirement to students under the current or previous catalog, unless the course is a replacement or alternative course and it is the same unit count.
- A course cannot result in an increase in units for students in required courses.
What are the dates for submitting materials to the CLA Curriculum Committee?
- See the tables below for specific dates.
- Please note that the dates indicated are hard deadlines. If you miss a date, your submissions will be reviewed for the next review cycle.
What forms must departments submit?
- For new courses, course modifications, and deleted courses use the online system to create and edit courses.
- For Selected Topics and Subtitle courses use the Selected Topics Course Proposal form (DOC). For more information see Selected Topics Courses.
To whom and how many forms must be submitted?
- Submit electronic copies (Word or PDF) to both the CLA associate dean and the CLA Curriculum Committee chair.
- Once courses are approved, paper copies will be required for signatures.
What else must continuous review proposals include?
- All courses must address resource issues. How will a new or modified course affect teaching loads and unit assignments?
- All course modifications must include a specific rationale for the proposed changes.
- Where there is overlap with courses taught in other departments, CLA or otherwise, an MOU form the other department must be included.
What curriculum changes will need to be submitted through the regular curriculum review cycle (2017-19 – tentative)?
- New majors
- New minors
- New concentrations
- Courses that affect other programs
- Existing courses being proposed for G.E. and/or USCP
- Courses that change unit requirements for one's majors
- Significant changes to majors or minors
- Deactivated courses
Where can we get more information?
I. Time Table for Submitting NEW Courses
|QUARTER TO BE IMPLEMENTED||CLA CURRICULUM COMMITTEE –
|ACADEMIC SENATE CURRICULUM COMMITTEE|
|Winter||March 1||April 1|
|Spring||September 20||September 30|
|Fall||December 6||January 6|
|Summer||December 6||January 6|
II. Time Table for Submitting MODIFIED Courses
|QUARTER TO BE
|CLA CURRICULUM COMMITTEE -
|ACADEMIC PROGRAMS -
|Summer||February 1||March 1|
|Fall||February 1||March 1|
|Winter||May 1||May 31|
|Spring||November 1||December 2|
II. Time Table for Submitting SUBTITLE and SELECTED TOPICS Courses
|QUARTER TO BE
|CLA CURRICULUM COMMITTEE
(*USE Topics FORM)
|Summer||March 15||April 15|
|Fall||April 5||May 5|
|Winter||October 5||November 5|
|Spring||January 5||February 5|
If a due date falls on the weekend or holiday, the next working day is acceptable.